2013 Wish List For Pune
Wish you all a happy new year!
I was posting some thoughts on twitter about my new year wish list items for Pune for 2013. This is not an exhaustive list by any means, nor is it listed in any particular order of priority. I have just copied my ‘tweets’ (with some edits) and converted them into a short blog post here. May add some more points later.
– BRTS expansion is put on hold. (No expansion before the current 5 year old implementation (Satara, Hadapsar Roads) mess is fixed!)
– Turnaround in PMPML Operations, purchase of 500 new buses…Better Buses, Better Routes/Frequencies.
– Traffic Police get some serious resources (man-power, equipment) augmentation. Better enforcement!
– Final approval of a realistic and practical Metro Plan – Plan for an Underground Metro in city area.
– Implementation of mini-buses on congested city routes. Circular routes: Laxmi Rd, Deccan, MG Rd,.. areas with 3-5 min freq
– After addressing critical concerns, work starts on key fly-overs and road projects (too much debate in 2012! 😦 …)
– The new airport site (Chakan, Rajgurunagar, wherever..) is finally fixed and work begins!
– A sustained effort to make the city pedestrians friendly! – crossings, footpaths, etc.
– Clarity in water allocation for city (16 TMC), implementation of water-meters, urgent fix for distribution losses.
– Garbage Segregation is made mandatory (and implemented with strict fine).
– Would like Pune to be the first city to BAN ALL ILLEGAL, POLITICAL FLEX BANNERS!
– Focus on clearing up encroachments across the city – specific focus on the city hills and open spaces!